Thursday, April 29, 2010

St. Jude Walk-a-Thon

On April 29th, we gathered with our classmates, teachers and parents from Holy Cross at Memorial Park for a walk-a-thon to raise money to send to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The children had been collecting donations for a couple of weeks prior to the walk and had been talking about and praying for the children who are at St. Jude. Lee was very interested in the hospital and in making sure he had a nice donation to send to the sick children. He got a t-shirt and was one of the top fundraisers in his class. He was very proud. The class raised around $2000 to send to St. Jude. Thank you to everyone who donated and made this fun day possible for the kids.
We're trying to get a group picture for the newspaper. Ever heard the saying, "trying to herd cats?" Trying to herd 26 excited 4 year olds at the PARK for a group picture is as close as it gets.
Instead of collecting money for laps, the kids just took donations and walked the trail at the park once as a group.
Can you tell Lee is so excited?
After the walk, the kids got some free play time at the park while the parents grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch.
I know it's not nice to take pictures during the prayer, but I had to document how precious Lee looked while he was asking the blessing!
The siblings got to come too! Hope was having the best time. This is how she greets me now. She comes running asking where Wade is. I'm definitely second fiddle to the "bay bee" now.
Lee was showing off his skills for his daddy. He kept calling him from slide to slide to the monkey bars, etc. to watch him.
It was Wade's first visit to the park. I'm pretty sure he was miserable in the baby carrier, even though he slept most of the time. I thought it would be the most convenient way to take care of him and still participate in the activities. It was an unexpectedly windy day, so he had to wear a hat. It was his first time to ride in the carrier, so I don't think he ever got comfortable. He was a very good sport and endured the 2+ hours we were there.
A quick family photo before the fun day ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment