Monday, September 14, 2009

Lee has an announcement!

Who am I kidding that this is the platform to make our announcement? It's old news to most of you by now. I can't help it. It's hard to beat an in-person announcement and reaction! Pictures are limited in this post, because in my excitement, I forgot to get permission from my subjects to post their pictures. Now, on to the best news of the day....
The adorable 4 year old is going to be a big brother! His smile is so genuine here. He is over the moon with excitement and is currently full of questions.
Here he about to get his surprise from us. He had been trying to guess what was in the package throughout dinner. He guessed everything from a new transformer to new pajamas.
He knew the word "big" and was sounding out the word "brother" here. It took a long time for him to understand, even after he figured out the new word.
This is when he "got it." I had the video camera going and finally just turned it off, because the news was not clicking with him. I don't think he expected it at all. It was a funny, funny time. We told him first, because we thought he deserved to know early and have the opportunity to keep a secret. He liked the idea of having a secret.
Since the weekend was bringing together my family for my dad's birthday and Matt's family for Grandparents' Day, we thought it was the perfect time to share our news. On the way to preschool on Friday, I reminded him to not share the secret, and he assured me he wouldn't. However, when Mrs. Angie brought him to the car at pickup time, she called him the "town crier." He told me that he shared his secret with Mrs. Angie but told her it was a secret. I thought it was hilarious that he caved after only 12 hours or so. So, Saturday at the soccer game, one of his best buddies, Ava Kate, came up to me and asked if I had a baby in my tummy, because that's what Lee told her at preschool on Friday. AK's mom looked mortified and tried to hush her, but I had to confess that it was true. It was then that we knew that Lee had shared his news with his whole class! There was no turning back now.
Lee told my family over dinner on Saturday night, and it took about 15 seconds for anyone to get what he was saying. My sister-in-law, Shayanne, finally got it and filled everyone else in. The girls were excited and had lots of questions. I have a feeling that Gracie will be giving me name suggestions soon.
On Sunday, we took Grandmom a gift for Grandparents' Day and shared the news with her. She was very excited and surprised. Nam and Pa came for a visit while we were there, and Lee ran up to Nam and asked her if she got his card, which was the source of the "big reveal." Luckily we got him in time to stop him from blurting out the news. Then we went to the Hayes's for Sunday dinner. I had gotten a recordable card, and Lee recorded a message about becoming a big brother. We sent the same card to my mom and step-dad too. After dinner, Lee could hardly wait for them to open it. In fact, I'm pretty sure he did the opening for them. They were excited too. Shelby immediately started naming the baby and making plans. She didn't specifically say so, but I think she is hoping for a girl. She had lots of girl names for me, and most of them were pretty cute. The Tusas didn't get to come, so we headed to their house on our way home. I made Matt call to tell them to come out to the car to get something we brought for Paul. Matt wanted me to call, but I was afraid I would giggle uncontrollably when Subo answered.
I was ready to get a reaction picture, but it happened so fast due to Lee's hanging out of the window to show Paul his new shirt. (Don't worry-he was buckled until we pulled into the driveway.) I didn't even make it out of the car before Subo and Brian saw Lee and had reacted. When Subo told Paul that Lee is going to be a Big Brother, he said, "Yay Lee, you're getting a baby sister too!" I'm afraid we might have some disappointed kids if the baby is a boy. Both boys will only say that it's a girl. They have lots of friends with little sisters, so maybe they think it's just a given.
When we got home, we called our dear friends, the Coffields. Jill immediately said she knew due to some changes, like my choosing water over diet coke at the movies, etc. I thought she had me figured out, but she never said a word! Katie got on the phone and was so excited. She wants to babysit either "Claire" or "Clayton." She said she would give me more names later, but those were her favorites last night.
Today, my wonderful playgroup friends invited Lee and me to join them for lunch, even though we're not going with them to story hour any more. I was so, so excited to tell them in person. Jennifer is having a boy in November, so I had already thought that baby Andrew and our new baby will be in the same class in school. Lee was wearing his big brother shirt, and I had my camera ready. He ran into the play area, and as soon as everyone saw him, they started screaming and clapping, and then we had a giant group hug. I'm sure the other McDonald's patrons thought we were nuts! I only got Jenn and Katie in the picture. Then I got emotional and forgot to take more. These ladies absolutely made our day by making over us. I had the best time with all of you today and don't know when I have laughed so hard. I love how we can have serious, intense conversations and share our thoughts and opinions, and then we can have a day, like today, where we talk over each other and laugh uncontrollably. You bless me more than I can tell you!
This is it. One more picture of Lee in his new shirt, and our day was complete. I posted a note on facebook and got many wonderful comments. I can't wait to record them all, so I can go back and re-read them. We have the most incredible family and friends, and we are so excited to share this fun journey with you. Tomorrow, I'll give you all the details on the new babe and share Lee's comments.

3 comments:

  1. I am laughing at Jennifer's cheerleader clap and Katie's look of astonishment! Good shot! Congrats again! I shared the news with Pam yesterday, so expect a comment from her too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to get to read along on this new chapter! Lee is going to be a great BIG brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED every moment of our time together...what an awesome surprise! I'm so happy for you, my precious friend!

    ReplyDelete